HOMEPAGE coachesWesley West DuPont softball fieldvisitor’s guideadmissions news: ►rosterschedulestatswinter camp. To contact the team, please write Head Coach Juli Greep at Juli.Greep@wesley.edu; to contact this blog, please write WesleySoftball@gmail.com. Other than being a parent of a player, this blog has no association with Wesley College.



Tuesday, November 1, 2016

YVONNE GUTIERREZ

Think about your contribution
Softball like life: accomplish
anything with good work ethic


Condensed from a much longer article that's 
part of the NCAA "Life After the Game" series. 

CLICK HERE for the full story headlined: 

Although it’s been more than two decades since she graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, Yvonne Gutierrez still gets fired up about the value of participating in a college sport.

“I loved it,” she said. “Balancing academics and athletics wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t difficult, either. You just have to find a way to effectively manage your time and stay focused on why you’re there.”


AN OUTDOORS PERSON

“I (always) knew my future would involve something with being outside, but really, I just wanted to play softball and go to college,” she said.

Gutierrez enrolled at the University of California, Los Angeles, working toward a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology while playing NCAA Division I softball as an outfielder.


FIREFIGHTING ENTERS PICTURE

“During my junior year, some friends of mine came to a softball game, and I noticed they were studying something,” Gutierrez said. “I asked what they were doing, and they told me they were applying for jobs with the Fire Department. Something clicked for me, and I thought, ‘Wow, that sounds like something I’d be interested in.’”

After four years of playing softball at UCLA, Gutierrez submitted her own application to the Los Angeles Fire Department as a fifth-year senior, and was selected.

ON LEFT AND RIGHT, Yvonne Gutierrez, an outfielder who led UCLA to three NCAA softball championships, then entered one of the hottest careers - firefighting!

CENTER, Wesley Wolverine senior #18 C Nina Marcano (Middletown, DE).

STUDENT-ATHLETE LESSONS LEARNED

“The coaches do a good job of helping you prioritize your schoolwork and earn a degree,” Gutierrez said. “Quite simply, if you don’t get the grades, you don’t get to play.”

Some of the lessons Gutierrez learned as a college player still resonate with her today.

“Being a student-athlete taught me to have a good work ethic,” she said. “There’s nothing you can’t accomplish if you put your mind to it. All I wanted was for my UCLA softball team to be No. 1. During my time off, I practiced and worked on the things I wasn’t great at so I’d become more proficient. It’s the same in life. Now, if there’s something I’m not good at, I know that I can work at it and get better.”


BE A CONTRIBUTOR!

“Don’t think you’re bigger than the sport, the program or the school,” she said. “Don’t go in with the attitude of ‘What can the school do for me?’ Think about what you can contribute.”